std.unittests for (final?) review

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Jan 3 07:02:11 PST 2011

On Monday 03 January 2011 06:43:24 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 1/3/11 3:38 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> > On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 06:44:50 +0200, Jonathan M Davis
> >
> > <jmdavisProg at gmx.com> wrote:
> >> So, please have a look at the code.
> >
> > Just one thing: wouldn't these functions also be useful in contract
> > programming (invariants etc.)? Perhaps they should just be added to
> > std.exception?
>
> In fact (without looking at std.unittest) I think it should be grouped
> with a simple benchmark facility. That's what the homonym frameworks in
> Google's and Facebook's code base do.

I'm afraid that I don't see what unit test helper functions have to do with
benchmarking. And I don't believe that we have a benchmarking module at the
moment regardless, so if you want to do that, we'd need to create one. The only
benchmarking stuff that I'm aware of is the bencharking stuff in std.datetime that
SHOO did, which isn't all that much code. I would have thought that unit test
helper functions would merit their own module, particularly when I don't see
what they have to do with benchmarks.

- Jonathan M Davis