Who here actually uses D?

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Mon Jan 3 10:36:05 PST 2011

On 03/01/11 18:15, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> The typical problem with things that look native but aren't technically
> native is that there's almost inevitably things that don't work right. For
> instance, they may ignore the system color scheme, they may fail to work
> with tools that inspect/manipulate other app's controls, they may not behave
> correctly outside of the most common use-cases, they may ignore system-wide
> skin settings (such things do, and should, exist for Windows), and I've even
> seen ones that actually go and emulate the wrong system style (For instance,
> Chrome/Iron's dialog windows look like Aero...but I'm on XP, and if I were
> on Win7 I'd be using the Classic theme anyway. Very very sloppy).
>
> If it turns out that Qt's self-drawn controls doesn't have any of those
> issues, then I agree there's no problem at all. I'd also be incredibly
> impressed.

I've not seen any such issues on Windows/Linux/OS X, could be others
though *shrugg*. I'm pretty sure Qt uses the native API as a backend
anyway, I remember reading an article about them transitioning from
carbon to cocoa on OS X (the native APIs) on their blog at some point,
I'd be surprised if they didn't do the same for Windows.

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/