D without a GC (Was: Advocacy (Was: Who here actually uses D?))

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Mon Jan 3 12:44:24 PST 2011

On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 21:41:37 +0200, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> How much of D can you really use without Phobos? I imagine there'd be
>> no problem in using it as a better C, but there isn't much appeal to
>> that,
>
> I don't agree there's not much appeal to that. D has quite a bit that
> makes C-style code much easier and more robust, such as the module
> system. C doesn't even have thread local storage!

You took my line out of context :) Of course D is better than C and can be
used as a better C, but I was making the comparison to C++/STL/Boost.
Well, it depends on which features you're after - if you're Linus Torvalds
and hate abstractions, D minus Phobos would indeed be a better deal than
C++/STL/Boost :)

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net