memoize (is this a fix for overloading?)

Wed Jan 5 01:21:41 PST 2011

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 17:06:45 -0600, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> On 1/4/11 4:49 PM, %u wrote:
>>> There's still the risk of keeping multiple hashes. Consider:
>>
>>> ulong fun(ulong n) { ... }
>>> alias memoize!fun mfun;
>>
>>> mfun(5); // creates hash ulong[int]
>>> mfun(5u); // creates hash ulong[uint] mfun('5'); // creates hash
>>> ulong[char]
>>

>> Ohhh I see... so you're basically looking for a compile-time version of
>> overload resolution, right? Because things seem to be getting
>> complicated very quickly.
>
> It's not that complicated; we'll be able to achieve it somehow.
> Overloads are compile-time entities so they should be easily
> inspectable.

Since this is likely to be useful in other cases as well, maybe it would
be better to make a general template that selects an overload?  So you'd
use it like this:

  alias memoize!(selectOverload!(sqrt, double)) msqrt;

A first step towards this would be to make __traits(getOverloads) work
with module-level functions.  Currently it only works for member
functions.  Also it would probably be better if it accepted a function
alias instead of a string containing the function name.

Anyway, I've been able to make the following work for selecting overloads
of member functions:

import std.traits, std.stdio;

struct S
{
    void foo(int i, double d) { writeln("Overload 1"); }
    void foo(double d, int i) { writeln("Overload 2"); }

    void test()
    {
        alias selectOverload!(S, "foo", int, double) bar;
        bar(1, 3.0);    // Prints "Overload 1"

        alias selectOverload!(S, "foo", double, int) baz;
        baz(4.0, 2);    // Prints "Overload 2"

void main()
{
    S s;
    s.test();
}

template selectOverload(T, string fun, Params...)
{
    alias selectOverloadImpl!(Params.length, Params,
        __traits(getOverloads, T, fun)) selectOverload;
}

template selectOverloadImpl(size_t lenP, A...)
{
    static assert (A.length > lenP, "No overload matches");
    static if (equalTuples!(lenP,
        A[0 .. lenP],
        ParameterTypeTuple!(A[lenP])))
    {
        alias A[lenP] selectOverloadImpl;
    }
    else
    {
        alias selectOverloadImpl!(lenP, A[0 .. lenP], A[lenP+1 .. $])
            selectOverloadImpl;

template equalTuples(size_t len, T...)
{
    static if (len == 0 && T.length == 0)
        enum equalTuples = true;
    else static if (T.length != len*2)
        enum equalTuples = false;
    else static if (!is (T[0] == T[len]))
        enum equalTuples = false;
    else
        enum equalTuples =
            equalTuples!(len-1, T[1 .. len], T[len+1 .. $]);