Moving to D

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Jan 5 22:22:56 PST 2011

"bearophile" <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote in message
news:ig2oe8$eki$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Jacob Carlborg:
>
>> And sometimes Mac OS X is *slightly* ahead of the other OSes, Tango has
>> had support for dynamic libraries on Mac OS X using DMD for quite a
>> while now. For D2 a patch is just sitting there in bugzilla waiting for
>> the last part of it to be commited. I'm really pushing this because
>> people seem to forget this.
>
> A quotation from here:
> http://whatupdave.com/post/1170718843/leaving-net
>
>>Also stop using codeplex it’s not real open source! Real open source isn’t
>>submitting a patch and waiting/hoping that one day it might be accepted
>>and merged into the main line.<

Automatically accepting all submissions immediately into the main line with
no review isn't a good thing either. In that article he's complaining about
MS, but MS is notorious for ignoring all non-MS input, period. D's already
light-years ahead of that. Since D's purely volunteer effort, and with a lot
of things to be done, sometimes things *are* going to tale a while to get
in. But there's just no way around that without major risks to quality. And
yea Walter could grant main-line DMD commit access to others, but then we'd
be left with a situation where no single lead dev understands the whole
program inside and out - and when that happens to projects, that's
inevitably the point where it starts to go downhill.