Moving to D

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Jan 5 22:28:08 PST 2011

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Automatically accepting all submissions immediately into the main line with
> no review isn't a good thing either. In that article he's complaining about
> MS, but MS is notorious for ignoring all non-MS input, period. D's already
> light-years ahead of that. Since D's purely volunteer effort, and with a lot
> of things to be done, sometimes things *are* going to tale a while to get
> in. But there's just no way around that without major risks to quality. And
> yea Walter could grant main-line DMD commit access to others, but then we'd
> be left with a situation where no single lead dev understands the whole
> program inside and out - and when that happens to projects, that's
> inevitably the point where it starts to go downhill.

That's pretty much what I'm afraid of, losing my grip on how the whole thing
works if there are multiple dmd committers.

On the bright (!) side, Brad Roberts has gotten the test suite in shape so that
anyone developing a patch can run it through the full test suite, which is a
prerequisite to getting it folded in.

In the last release, most of the patches in the changelog were done by people
other than myself, although yes, I vet and double check them all before
committing them.