Moving to D

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Thu Jan 6 03:50:25 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 03:35 -0600, Caligo wrote:
[ . . . ]

> Perhaps using a modern SCM like Git might help?  Everyone could have
> (and should have) commit rights, and they would send pull requests.
> You or one of the managers would then review the changes and pull and
> merge with the main branch.  It works great; just checkout out
> Rubinius on Github to see what I mean:
> https://github.com/evanphx/rubinius

Whilst I concur (massively) that Subversion is no longer the correct
tool for collaborative working, especially on FOSS projects, but also
for proprietary ones, I am not sure Git is the best choice of tool.
Whilst Git appears to have the zeitgeist, Mercurial and Bazaar are
actually much easier to work with.  Where Git has GitHub, Mercurial has
BitBucket, and Bazaar has Launchpad.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk