Moving to D

Lutger Blijdestijn lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 03:58:50 PST 2011

Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> "Caligo" <iteronvexor at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:mailman.451.1294306555.4748.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:28 AM, Walter Bright
>> <newshound2 at digitalmars.com>wrote:
>>

>>> That's pretty much what I'm afraid of, losing my grip on how the whole
>>> thing works if there are multiple dmd committers.
>>>
>>> Perhaps using a modern SCM like Git might help?  Everyone could have
>>> (and
>> should have) commit rights, and they would send pull requests.  You or
>> one of the managers would then review the changes and pull and merge with
>> the
>> main branch.  It works great; just checkout out Rubinius on Github to see
>> what I mean: https://github.com/evanphx/rubinius
>>

> I'm not sure I see how that's any different from everyone having "create
> and submit a patch" rights, and then having Walter or one of the managers
> review the changes and merge/patch with the main branch.

There isn't because it is basically the same workflow. The reason why people
would prefer git style fork and merge over sending svn patches is because
these tools do the same job much better. github increases the usability
further and give you nice pr for free.

otoh I understand that it's not exactly attractive to invest time to replace
something that also works right now.