Moving to D

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Thu Jan 6 11:19:09 PST 2011

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> What are the advantages of Mercurial over git? (git does allow multiple
> branches.)

	Here's a comparison. Although I am partial to Mercurial, I have
tried to be fair. Some of the points are in favor of Mercurial, some
in favor of Git, and some are simply differences I noted (six of
one, half a dozen of the other):
http://www.digitalmars.com/pnews/read.php?server=news.digitalmars.com&group=digitalmars.D&artnum=91657

	An extra point I did not raise at the time: Git is deliberately
engineered to be as different from CVS/SVN as possible (quoting
Wikipedia: "Take CVS as an example of what /not/ to do; if in doubt,
make the exact opposite decision"). IMO this makes it a poor choice
when migrating from SVN. Mercurial (or Bazaar) would be much more
comfortable.

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr