Moving to D

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Jan 6 11:46:47 PST 2011

Russel Winder wrote:
> Pity, because using one of Mercurial, Bazaar or Git instead of
> Subversion is likely the best and fastest way of getting more quality
> contributions to review.  Although only anecdotal in every case where a
> team has switched to DVCS from CVCS -- except in the case of closed
> projects, obviously -- it has opened things up to far more people to
> provide contributions.  Subversion is probably now the single biggest
> barrier to getting input on system evolution.

A couple months back, I did propose moving to git on the dmd internals mailing
list, and nobody was interested.

One thing I like a lot about svn is this:

http://www.dsource.org/projects/dmd/changeset/291

where the web view will highlight the revision's changes. Does git or mercurial
do that? The other thing I like a lot about gif is it sends out emails for each
checkin.

One thing I would dearly like is to be able to merge branches using meld.

http://meld.sourceforge.net/