Moving to D

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 12:03:32 PST 2011

Am 06.01.2011 20:46, schrieb Walter Bright:
> Russel Winder wrote:
>> Pity, because using one of Mercurial, Bazaar or Git instead of
>> Subversion is likely the best and fastest way of getting more quality
>> contributions to review. Although only anecdotal in every case where a
>> team has switched to DVCS from CVCS -- except in the case of closed
>> projects, obviously -- it has opened things up to far more people to
>> provide contributions. Subversion is probably now the single biggest
>> barrier to getting input on system evolution.
>

> A couple months back, I did propose moving to git on the dmd internals mailing
> list, and nobody was interested.
>
> One thing I like a lot about svn is this:
>
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/dmd/changeset/291
>
> where the web view will highlight the revision's changes. Does git or mercurial
> do that? The other thing I like a lot about gif is it sends out emails for each
> checkin.

It's not SVN but trac doing this.
And trac's mercurial plugin seems to support that as well:
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracMercurial#MercurialChangesets

Bitbucket also supports that kind of view, see for example:
https://bitbucket.org/goshawk/gdc/changeset/44b6978e5f6c

The GitPlugin should support that as well, if I interpret the feature list
correctly: http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/GitPlugin

Dsource seems to support both git and mercurial, but I don't know which projects
use them, else I'd them as examples to see how those trac plugins work in real life.

Cheers,
- Daniel