DVCS (was Re: Moving to D)

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Thu Jan 6 12:12:54 PST 2011

On 2011-01-06 15:01:18 -0500, Jesse Phillips <jessekphillips+D at gmail.com> said:

> Walter Bright Wrote:
>
>> A couple months back, I did propose moving to git on the dmd internals mailing
>> list, and nobody was interested.

I probably wasn't on the list at the time. I'm certainly interested,
it'd certainly make it easier for me, as I'm using git locally to
access that repo.

>> One thing I like a lot about svn is this:
>>
>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/dmd/changeset/291
>
> You mean this:
> https://github.com/braddr/dmd/commit/f1fde96227394f926da5841db4f0f4c608b2e7b2

That's

only if you're hosted on github. If you install on your own server, git
comes with a web interface that looks like this (pointing to a specific
diff):
<http://repo.or.cz/w/LinuxKernelDevelopmentProcess.git/commitdiff/d7214dcb5be988a5c7d407f907c7e7e789872d24>

Also

when I want an overview with git I just type gitk on the command line
to bring a window where I can browser the graph of forks, merges and
commits and see the diff for each commit. Here's what gitk looks like:
<http://michael-prokop.at/blog/img/gitk.png>

>> where the web view will highlight the revision's changes. Does git or mercurial
>> do that? The other thing I like a lot about gif is it sends out emails for each
>> checkin.
>>
>> One thing I would dearly like is to be able to merge branches using meld.
>>
>> http://meld.sourceforge.net/
>
> Git does not have its own merge tool. You are free to use meld. Though
> there is gitmerge which can run meld as the merge tool.

Looks like meld itself used git as it's repository. I'd be surprised if
it doesn't work with git. :-)

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com