Patterns of Bugs

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 13:24:51 PST 2011

Am 06.01.2011 21:37, schrieb Guilherme Vieira:
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Robert Clipsham <robert at octarineparrot.com
> <mailto:robert at octarineparrot.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 06/01/11 19:38, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>         http://www.drdobbs.com/blog/archives/2011/01/patterns_of_bug.html
>
>         (dedicated to bearophile!)
>
>         Anyone want to post it on reddit?
>

>     "It's too bad there doesn't seem to be an online repository of them. They
>     would make for great research material for programming language designers.
>     Every one you can design out of existence will incrementally improve the
>     productivity of programmers."
>
>     Perhaps someone here would like to volunteer for this? I guess some kind of
>     moderated bugzilla would do the trick, it'd be awesome to have some table of
>     languages and how many of the types bugs they prevent/kind of prevent as well.
>
>     If no one else volunteers I guess I could hack something crude together, it
>     would still need people to volunteer bugs for it, as well as sources/proof
>     for each bug (links to changesets/projects that have encountered this issue
>     etc).
>
>     --
>     Robert
>     http://octarineparrot.com/
>

> I loved the idea, but I personally dislike Bugzilla and I wonder if it would
> work for something like that. Anyway a voting system would be mandatory.
>
> In any case, isn't there something like this already?

I don't think Bugzilla would be appropriate, because such a repository should
collect bugs from many different projects.
Something that allows to sort the bugs into categories etc is needed IMHO.
So you'd have rough categories of bugs, sub-(sub-sub-)categories of that and at
some point links to the actual bugs in the respective bugtrackers of the
monitored projects.

Of course support for that in various bugtrackers would be great, so the
bugfixer could just select the appropriate (sub)category of the bug and it would
automatically be submitted to the repository.

Cheers,
- Daniel