Moving to D

Brad Roberts braddr at slice-2.puremagic.com
Thu Jan 6 15:03:42 PST 2011

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

> On 1/6/11 4:26 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> > DDMD uses Mercurial on DSource: http://www.dsource.org/projects/ddmd
>
> The ready availability of Mercurial on dsource.org plus Don's inclination to
> use Mercurial just tipped the scale for me. We should do all we can to make
> Don's and other developers' life easier, and being able to work on multiple
> fixes at a time is huge.
>
> We should create a new Mercurial repository. I suggest we call it digitalmars
> because the current "phobos" svn repo contains a lot of stuff that's not
> phobos-related.
>

> Andrei

Personally, I'd prefer to git over mecurial, which dsource also supports.
But, really, I'd prefer github over dsource (sorry, BradA) for stability
and just generally much more usable site.

My general problem with the switch to a different SCM of any sort:

  1) the history of the current source is a mess.
     a) lack of tags for releases
     b) logical merges have all been done as individual commits

  2) walter's workflow meaning that he'll won't use the scm merge
     facilities.  He manually merges everything.

None of this is really a problem, it just becomes a lot more visible when
using a system that encourages keeping a very clean history and the use of
branches and merging.

My 2 cents,
Brad