Moving to D

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Thu Jan 6 16:34:37 PST 2011

> Mercurial on dsource.org …

Personally, I'd really like to persuade Walter, you, and whoever else
actually decides this to consider hosting the main repository at an
external place like GitHub or Mercurial, because DSource has been having
some real troubles with stability, although it got slightly better again
recently. The problem is somewhat alleviated when using a DVCS, but
having availabilities the main source repositories is not quite the best
form of advertisement for a language.

Additionally, the UI of GitHub supports the scenario where only a few
people (or Walter alone) actually have commit/push access to the main
repository really well through cheap forks which stay logically
connected to he main repository and merge requests. The ability to make
comments on specific (lines in) commits, also in combination with pull
requests, is awesome as well.

I would also like to suggest Git over Mercurial, though this is mostly
personal preference – it is used more widely, it has GitHub and
Gitorious (I'm having a hard time finding Bitbucket comparable
personally), it's proven to work well in settings where the main tree is
managed by a single person (->Linux), it tries not artificially
restricting you as much as possible (something I imagine Walter might
like), … – but again, it's probably a matter of taste, I don't want to
start a flamewar here.

The most important thing to me is, however, that I'd really like to see
a general shift in the way D development is done towards more
contributor-friendliness. I can only bow to Walter as a very capable and
experienced compiler writer, but as it was discussed several times here
on the list as well, in my opinion D has reached a point where it
desperately needs to win new contributors to the whole ecosystem. There
is a reason why other open source projects encourage you to write
helpful commit messages, and yet we don't even have tags for releases
(!) in the DMD repository.

I didn't intend to offend anybody at all, but I'd really hate to see D2
failing to »take off« for reasons like this…

David