Moving to D

Caligo iteronvexor at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 18:20:30 PST 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 5:50 AM, Russel Winder <russel at russel.org.uk> wrote:

> Whilst I concur (massively) that Subversion is no longer the correct
> tool for collaborative working, especially on FOSS projects, but also
> for proprietary ones, I am not sure Git is the best choice of tool.
> Whilst Git appears to have the zeitgeist, Mercurial and Bazaar are
> actually much easier to work with.  Where Git has GitHub, Mercurial has
> BitBucket, and Bazaar has Launchpad.
>
> --
> Russel.

> Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip:
> sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net <sip%3Arussel.winder at ekiga.net>
> 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk
> London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

BitBucket has copied almost everything from Github, and I don't understand
how they've never been sued.

http://dev.pocoo.org/~blackbird/github-vs-bitbucket/bitbucket.html

Github team has been the innovator here, and they never stop improving the
site with new features and bug fixes.  It would be nice to support their
work by using Github.

There is also Gitorious.  It only offers free hosting and it is more team
orientated than Github, but Github has recently added the "Organization"
feature.   The interesting thing about Gitorious is that you can run it on
your own server.  I don't think you can do that with Github.

One cool thing about Github that I like is gist: https://gist.github.com/
It's a pastebin, but it uses Git and supports D syntax.  People are always
sharing snippets on these newsgroups, and it would have been nice if they
were gists.

I've never used Bazaar, so no comment on that.  But, between Git and
Mercurial, I vote for Git.