Moving to D

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Fri Jan 7 02:00:50 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 15:03 -0800, Brad Roberts wrote:
[ . . . ]
>   1) the history of the current source is a mess.
>      a) lack of tags for releases
>      b) logical merges have all been done as individual commits

Any repository coming to DVCS from CVS or Subversion will have much
worse than this :-(((  In the end you have to bite the bullet and so
"let's do it, and repair stuff later if we have to".

>   2) walter's workflow meaning that he'll won't use the scm merge
>      facilities.  He manually merges everything.

At a guess I would say that this is more an issue that CVS and
Subversion have truly outdated ideas about branching and merging.
Indeed merging branches in Subversion seems still to be so difficult it
makes a shift to DVCS the only way forward.

> None of this is really a problem, it just becomes a lot more visible when
> using a system that encourages keeping a very clean history and the use of
> branches and merging.

And no rebasing!

At the risk of over-egging the pudding:  No organization or project I
have knowledge of that made the shift from CVS or Subversion to DVCS
(Mercurial, Bazaar, or Git) has ever regretted it.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk