Moving to D

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Jan 7 03:22:19 PST 2011

On Friday 07 January 2011 02:09:31 Russel Winder wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 11:46 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
> > A couple months back, I did propose moving to git on the dmd internals
> > mailing list, and nobody was interested.
>
> That surprises me.  Shifting from Subversion to any of Mercurial, Bazaar
> or Git, is such a huge improvement in tooling.  Especially for support
> of feature branches.

Part of that was probably because not that many people pay attention to the dmd
internals mailing list. I don't recall seeing that post, and I do pay at least
some attention to that list. I would have been for it, but then again, I'm also
not one of the dmd developers - not that there are many.

Personally, I'd love to see dmd, druntime, and Phobos switch over to git, since
that's what I typically use. It would certainly be an improvement over
subversion. But I can't compare it to other systems such as Mercurial and
Bazaar, because I've never used them. Really, for me personally, git works well
enough that I've had no reason to check any others out. I can attest though that
git is a huge improvement over subversion. Before I started using git, I almost
never used source control on my own projects, because it was too much of a pain.
With git, it's extremely easy to set up a new repository, it doesn't pollute the
whole source tree with source control files, and it doesn't force me to have a
second copy of the repository somewhere else. So, thanks to git, I now use
source control all the time.

- Jonathan M Davis