Moving to D

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 07:25:29 PST 2011

Jonathan M Davis Wrote:

> Well, you get the full commit history if you use git-svn to commit to an svn
> repository. I'm not sure it deals with svn branches very well though, since svn
> treats those as separate files, and so each branch is actually a separate set of
> files, and I don't believe that git will consider them to be the same. However,
> since I always just use git-svn on the trunk of whatever svn repository I'm
> dealing with, I'm not all that experienced with dealing with how svn branches
> look in a git repository's history. And it may be that there's a way to
> specifically import an svn repository in a manner which makes all of those
> branches look as a single set of files to git. I don't know. But on the whole,
> converting from subversion to git is pretty easy. We technically use svn at
> work, but I always just use git-svn. Life is much more pleasant that way.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

You can have git-svn import the standard svn layout. This will than import the tags and branches. And best I can tell, the reason it takes so long to do this is because it is analyzing each branch to see where it occurred, and then making the proper branches as it would be in Git. You can specify your own layout if your branches aren't set up like a standard svn.