Patterns of Bugs

Max Samukha spambox at d-coding.com
Fri Jan 7 09:48:56 PST 2011

On 01/06/2011 09:38 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> http://www.drdobbs.com/blog/archives/2011/01/patterns_of_bug.html
>
> (dedicated to bearophile!)
>
> Anyone want to post it on reddit?

Good points. However, computer hardware analogies are a bit outdated.
For example, USB is prevalent nowadays. You connect a USB keyboard,
mouse or whatever to a slot, which is closest to you and forget about
it. Also, memory module connectors are incompatible starting from I
believe DDR. You won't be able to stick DDR2 module into DDR slot.
Actually, this applies to almost any modern PC component.

I'm afraid the principles you are describing are not something new in
the software industry. I can't remember the first time I heard the term
"fool-proof software".