Patterns of Bugs

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 11:32:09 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 11:27:14AM -0800, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> is getting too warm. However, I think that it's horrific that anything in the OS
> or any program on the computer at all uses the PC speaker.

I *love* the pc speaker. It is the only kind of application alert sound I
actually want to use.

Of course, I want it to be only when I command it, not other people, but
it is still amazingly awesome.

My computer uses different tones of beeps to tell me about IMs, emails,
and other quick alerts.

> speaker is disabled in KDE, I really need to go and track down which change I
> need to make where to silence it when I've booted to the console rather than all

Try rmmod pcspkr to turn it off and modprobe pcspkr to turn it back on.