Patterns of Bugs

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Jan 7 12:14:38 PST 2011

"Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:op.voyerqyseav7ka at steve-laptop...
> On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 14:44:10 -0500, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
>
>> "Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
>> news:ig7n8o$1t3u$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> Yes, USB is a big improvement. So is SATA.
>>>

>> IDE's been keyed for a long time too. Wasn't originally, but has been
>> for a
>> long time now.
>
> SATA is better not because of the keyed nature of it.  How many times I
> have tried to twist around my IDE cables so they would be the right way to
> plug into two components!
>
> That small cable makes a world of difference.  Same thing with HDMI --
> instead of 3-5 clunky cables that hopefully are color coded correctly, you
> get one cable transmitting all data.

I thought Walter was talking specifically about the keying. Also, I use
these on my IDE drives which have been around for quite a few years:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0285984
(They do something special with the shielding inside so that the wires don't
have to be in a big ribbon). Granted, SATA cables are even better still, but
these are still a huge improvement over the older-style IDE cables.