DVCS (was Re: Moving to D)

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Jan 8 18:25:24 PST 2011

On Saturday 08 January 2011 10:39:39 Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2011-01-08 16:01, Russel Winder wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-01-08 at 15:38 +0100, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> >> On 2011-01-06 21:12, Michel Fortin wrote:
> > [ . . . ]

> > gitk uses the Tk widget set which looks hideous -- at least on my Ubuntu
> > and Debian systems.  I now use gitg which appears to have the same
> > functionality, but looks almost acceptable.  There is also git-gui.
>
> Doesn't the Tk widget set look hideous on all platforms. I can't
> understand why both Mercurial and git have chosen to use Tk for the GUI.

Probably because you don't need much installed for them to work. About all you
need is X. Now, I'd still rather that they'd picked a decent-looking GUI toolkit
and just required it (_most_ people are running full desktop systems with the
proper requirements installed and which will install them if a package needs
them and they're not installed), but they were probably trying to make it work
in pretty minimal environments.

- Jonathan M Davis