Assuming structs are cheap to copy?

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 08:06:22 PST 2011

I remember there was a discussion a little while back about how Phobos
would assume that structs are cheap to copy, and would simply pass them
by value.

Is this assumption now "the D way"? Should we all just pass structs by
value, assuming cheap copy construction?

If so, I think this needs to be documented somewhere (assuming it isn't
already), because it's a radical departure from C++, and also from most
other languages (where everything is a reference type). People need to
be aware of this.