About std.container.RedBlackTree

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 06:13:13 PST 2011

>> A tree is a kind of set, so instead of "insert()" I'd like a name like
>> "add()".
>> (But maybe this is not standard in D).
>
> The function names must be consistent across containers, because the
> point is that complexity and semantic requirements are attached to the
> function name.  The function names were decided long ago by Andrei, and
> I don't think insert is a bad name (I believe std::set and std::map in
> C++ STL uses insert).

I have thought at this naming issue, precisely, for a while.
"add" is bad because of connotation with "addition". D does not use '+'
as operator for putting new elements in a container: this is a very
sensible choice imo.
"insert" is bad because of "in-between" connotation: does not fit when
putting an element at the end of a seq, even less for unordered containers.
"put" instead seems to me the right term, obvious and general enough:
one puts a new element in there. This can nicely adapt to very diverse
container types such as sequences including stacks (no explicite index
--> put at end), sets/AAs, trees,...

Denis