DVCS (was Re: Moving to D)

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jan 11 11:53:16 PST 2011

retard wrote:
> Ubuntu has a menu entry for "restricted drivers". It provides support for
> both ATI/AMD (Radeon 8500 or better, appeared in 1998 or 1999!) and
> NVIDIA cards (Geforce 256 or better, appeared in 1999!) and I think it
> automatically suggests (a pop-up window) correct drivers in the latest
> releases right after the first install.
>
> Intel chips are automatically supported by the open source drivers. VIA
> and S3 may or may not work out of the box. I'm just a bit curious to know
> what GPU you have? If it's some ancient VLB (vesa local bus) or ISA card,
> I can donate $15 for buying one that uses AGP or PCI Express.
>
> Ubuntu doesn't support all video formats out of the box, but the media
> players and browsers automatically suggest loading missing drivers. At
> least in the 3 or 4 latest releases. Maybe the problem isn't the encoder,
> it might be the Linux incompatible web site.

My mobo is an ASUS M2A-VM. No graphics cards, or any other cards plugged into
it. It's hardly weird or wacky or old (it was new at the time I bought it to
install Ubuntu).

My display is 1920 x 1200. That just seems to cause grief for Ubuntu. Windows
has no issues at all with it.

>>> Or you could download the latest version from meld's website and
>>> compile it yourself.
>> Yeah, I could spend an afternoon doing that.
>
> Another one of these jokes? Probably one of the best compiler authors in
> the whole world uses a whole afternoon doing something (compiling a
> program)

On the other hand, I regularly get emails from people with 10 years of coding
experience who are flummoxed by a "symbol not defined" message from the linker. :-)

> that total Linux noobs do in less than 30 minutes with the help
> of Google search.

Yeah, I've spent a lot of time googling for solutions to problems with Linux.
You know what? I get pages of results from support forums - every solution is
different and comes with statements like "seems to work", "doesn't work for me",
etc. The advice is clearly from people who do not know what they are doing, and
randomly stab at things, and these are the first page of google results.