eliminate junk from std.string?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jan 11 12:43:28 PST 2011

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> I agree with this reasoning for having them. However, I don't think it means
> we shouldn't D-ify or Phobos-ify them, at least as far as capitalization
> conventions.

I also object to rather pointlessly annoying people wanting to move their code
from D1 to D2 by renaming everything. Endlessly renaming things searching for
the perfect name gives the illusion of progress, whereas time would be better
spent on improving the documentation, unittests, performance, etc.

Naming of things isn't nearly as critical an issue in D as it is in, say, C,
because of the excellent antihijacking support in D's module system.

Some name changes have turned out to be a big win, like "invariant" =>
"immutable". But I don't think that implies open season for wholesale renaming
of swaths of functions.