eliminate junk from std.string?

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 16:23:13 PST 2011

Am 12.01.2011 01:17, schrieb Jonathan M Davis:
> On Tuesday, January 11, 2011 16:07:11 Daniel Gibson wrote:
>>>
>>> 2. Deprecating a function name. For instance, let's say that we rename
>>> splitl to splitL or SplitLeft in std.string. Having a deprecated alias
>>> to splitl would avoid immediately breaking code.
>>
>> Isn't this exactly what Ary had in mind? :-)
>
> No, or at least that's not the impression that I got. I understood that he meant
> to have to aliases around permanently. It's just confusing and adds clutter to
> do things like have both splitl and splitLeft (or splitL or whotever splitl got
> renamed to) around in the long run. _That_ is what Andrei and Walter is
> objecting to.
>
> Renaming a function and having a deprecated alias to the old name for a few
> releases eases the transition would definitely be good practice. aliasing a
> function just to have another name for the same thing wouldn't be good practice.
> There has to be a real benefit to having the second name. Providing a smooth
> deprecation route would be a case where there's a real benefit.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Ok, you're right, that is a slight difference.

Deprecating them is certainly a good idea, but I'd suggest to keep the
deprecated aliases around for longer (until D3), so anybody porting a
Phobos1-based application to D2/Phobos2 can use them, even if he doesn't
do this within the next few releases.

Cheers,
- Daniel