eliminate junk from std.string?

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 16:55:43 PST 2011

On 01/11/2011 09:11 PM, Ary Borenszweig wrote:
> "Welcome to D. Do you program in C, Javascript, Python or Ruby? Cool! Then you
> will feel at home."
>
> That phrase currently ends like this:
>
> "You don't? Oh, sorry, you will have to learn that some names are all lowercase,
> some not."
>
> But it could end like this:
>
> "You don't? Don't worry. D has the convention of writing all function names with X
> convention, but we keep some aliases for things that we want to keep backwards
> compatibility for."

Yop. And anyway those legacy names are not all the same in C,
Javascript, Python, Ruby, etc.. One has to be chosen or created for D,
why not follow a guideline for the standard D name?
(I really cannot (under)stand this general politic of sticking at wrong
design choices from the past for generations and generations --even in
brand new languages. How do improvements happen in other fields than
programming? One day or the other, one needs to throw away old (mental)
garbage.)

Denis