DVCS (was Re: Moving to D)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Jan 11 16:59:40 PST 2011

"Daniel Gibson" <metalcaedes at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:igijc7$27pv$4 at digitalmars.com...
> Am 11.01.2011 22:36, schrieb Walter Bright:
>> Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>>> That's my biggest problem with Linux. Having technical problems is not
>>> the issue, finding the right solution in the sea of forum posts is the
>>> problem.
>>
>> The worst ones begin with "you might try this..." or "I think this might
>> work,
>> but YMMV..." How do these wind up being the top ranked results by google?
>> Who
>> embeds links to that stuff?
>>
>> My experience with Windows is, like yours, the opposite. The top ranked
>> result
>> will be correct and to the point. No weasel wording.
>
> Those results are often in big forums like ubuntuforums.org that get a lot
> of links etc, so even if one thread doesn't have many incoming links, it
> may still get a top ranking.
>
> Also my blog entries (hosted at wordpress.com) get on the google frontpage
> when looking for the specific topic, even though my blog is mostly
> unknown, has 2-20 visitors per day and almost no incoming links.. Googles
> algorithms often do seem like voodoo ;)
>
> Also: Many problems (and their correct solutions) heavily depend on your
> system. What desktop environment is used, what additional stuff (dbus,
> hal, ...) is used, what are the versions of this stuff (and X.org), what
> distribution is used, ...
> There may be different default configurations shipped depending on what
> distribution (and what version of that distribution) you use, ...
> So there often is no single correct answer that will work for anyone.
>
> Still, in my experience those HOWTOs often work (it may help to look at
> multiple HOWTOs and compare them if you're not sure, if it applies to your
> system) or at least push you in the right direction.

That's probably one of the biggest things that's always bothered me about
linux (not that there aren't plenty of other things that bother me about
every other OS in existence). For something that's considered so
standards-compliant/standards-friendly (compared to, say MS), it's painfully
*un*standardized.