eliminate junk from std.string?

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 17:17:43 PST 2011

Am 12.01.2011 01:55, schrieb Jonathan M Davis:
> On Tuesday, January 11, 2011 16:23:13 Daniel Gibson wrote:
>> Deprecating them is certainly a good idea, but I'd suggest to keep the
>> deprecated aliases around for longer (until D3), so anybody porting a
>> Phobos1-based application to D2/Phobos2 can use them, even if he doesn't
>> do this within the next few releases.
>
> Well, leaving an alias until D3 would equate to a permanent alias in D2, which
> is exactly what Walter and Andrei don't want (and I don't either). There's
> already plenty in Phobos 2 that's different from Phobos 1. So, while I don't
> think that we should rename stuff just to rename stuff, I also don't think that we
> should keep aliases around just to make porting D1 code easier - especially when
> most D1 code is probably using Tango anyway. We don't really have a policy in
> place for how long deprecation should last prior to outright removal, but until
> D3 is definitely too long. I would have thought that the question would be more
> along the lines of whether it should be a couple of releases or more like 6
> months to a year before removing deprecated functions and modules at this point,
> not whether something will remain deprecated until D3.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Somewhere in this thread:

Am 11.01.2011 21:43, schrieb Walter Bright:
 > Nick Sabalausky wrote:
 >> I agree with this reasoning for having them. However, I don't think it
 >> means we shouldn't D-ify or Phobos-ify them, at least as far as
 >> capitalization conventions.
 >
 > I also object to rather pointlessly annoying people wanting to move
 > their code from D1 to D2 by renaming everything. Endlessly renaming
 > things searching for the perfect name gives the illusion of progress,
 > whereas time would be better spent on improving the documentation,
 > unittests, performance, etc.

So his objection was specifically that renaming those functions could
annoy people migrating D1 code (and certainly he meant Phobos1 users,
because Tango-people either port (parts of) Tango or will have to
rewrite that anyway).
So, to accomplish that goal (not annoying those people), these aliases
should be kept for longer.

(An alternative may be to one/some phobos1-compat modules that contain
such aliases and maybe even wrappers with old signatures for new
functions, that could be imported to ease porting of old applications.
That would have the benefit of not cluttering the regular Phobos2
modules with that legacy stuff.)

Cheers,
- Daniel