DVCS (was Re: Moving to D)

Jean Crystof news at news.com
Tue Jan 11 18:37:18 PST 2011

Walter Bright Wrote:

> retard wrote:
> > One thing came to my mind. Unless you're using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS,
>
> I'm using 8.10, and I've noticed that no more updates are coming.

Huh! You should seriously consider upgrading. If you are running any kind of services in the system or browsing the web, you're exposed to both remote and local attacks. I know at least one local root exploit 8.10 is vulnerable to. It's just plainly stupid to use a distro after the support has died. Are you running Windows 98 still too?

If you upgrade Ubuntu, do a clean install. Upgrading 8.10 in-place goes via -> 9.04 -> 9.10 -> 10.4 -> 10.10. Each one takes 1 or 2 hours. Clean install of Ubuntu 10.10 or 11.04 (soon available) will only take less than 30 minutes.

> > The support for desktop 8.04 and 9.10 is also nearing its end (April this
> > year). I'd recommend backing up your /home and installing 10.04 LTS or
> > 10.10 instead.
>
> Yeah, I know I'll be forced to upgrade soon.

Soon? Your system already sounds like it's broken.

> One thing that'll make it easier is
> I abandoned using Ubuntu for multimedia. For example, to play Pandora I now just
> plug my ipod into my stereo <g>. I just stopped using youtube on Ubuntu, as I
> got tired of the video randomly going black, freezing, etc.

I'm using Amarok and Spotify. Both work fine.