DVCS (was Re: Moving to D)

Jean Crystof news at news.com
Tue Jan 11 19:02:19 PST 2011

Walter Bright Wrote:

> My mobo is an ASUS M2A-VM. No graphics cards, or any other cards plugged into
> it. It's hardly weird or wacky or old (it was new at the time I bought it to
> install Ubuntu).

ASUS M2A-VM has 690G chipset. Wikipedia says:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_690_chipset_series#690G

"AMD recently dropped support for Windows and Linux drivers made for Radeon X1250 graphics integrated in the 690G chipset, stating that users should use the open-source graphics drivers instead. The latest available AMD Linux driver for the 690G chipset is fglrx version 9.3, so all newer Linux distributions using this chipset are unsupported."

Fast forward to this day:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_driver_q111&num=2

Benchmark page says: the only available driver for your graphics gives only about 10-20% of the real performance. Why? ATI sucks on Linux. Don't buy ATI. Buy Nvidia instead:

http://geizhals.at/a466974.html

This is 3rd latest Nvidia GPU generation. How long support lasts? Ubuntu 10.10 still supports all Geforce 2+ which is 10 years old. I foretell Ubuntu 19.04 is last one supporting this. Use Nvidia and your problems are gone.