DVCS (was Re: Moving to D)

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 10:11:22 PST 2011

Am 12.01.2011 04:02, schrieb Jean Crystof:
> Walter Bright Wrote:
>
>> My mobo is an ASUS M2A-VM. No graphics cards, or any other cards plugged into
>> it. It's hardly weird or wacky or old (it was new at the time I bought it to
>> install Ubuntu).
>
> ASUS M2A-VM has 690G chipset. Wikipedia says:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_690_chipset_series#690G
>
> "AMD recently dropped support for Windows and Linux drivers made for Radeon X1250 graphics integrated in the 690G chipset, stating that users should use the open-source graphics drivers instead. The latest available AMD Linux driver for the 690G chipset is fglrx version 9.3, so all newer Linux distributions using this chipset are unsupported."

I guess a recent version of the free drivers (as delivered with recent
Ubuntu releases) still is much better than the one in Walters >2 Years
old Ubuntu.
Sure, game performance may not be great, but I guess normal working
(even in 1920x1200) and watching youtube videos works.

> Fast forward to this day:
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_driver_q111&num=2
>
> Benchmark page says: the only available driver for your graphics gives only about 10-20% of the real performance. Why? ATI sucks on Linux. Don't buy ATI. Buy Nvidia instead:

No it doesn't. The X1250 uses the same driver as the X1950 which is much
more mature and also faster than the free driver for the Radeon HD ***
cards (for which a proprietary Catalyst driver is still provided).

> http://geizhals.at/a466974.html
>
> This is 3rd latest Nvidia GPU generation. How long support lasts? Ubuntu 10.10 still supports all Geforce 2+ which is 10 years old. I foretell Ubuntu 19.04 is last one supporting this. Use Nvidia and your problems are gone.

I agree that a recent nvidia card may improve things even further.

Cheers,
- Daniel