DVCS (was Re: Moving to D)

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Jan 12 19:43:27 PST 2011

Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On 1/12/11, Jean Crystof <news at news.com> wrote:
>> Claiming that low end components have shorter lifespan is ridiculous.
>
> You've never had computer equipment fail on you?

I've had a lot of computer equipment.

Failures I've had, ranked in order of most failures to least:

keyboards
power supplies
hard drives
fans
monitors

I've never had a CPU, memory, or mobo failure. Which is really kind of amazing.

I did have a 3DFX board once, which failed after a couple years. Never bought
another graphics card.

The keyboards fail so often I keep a couple spares around.

I buy cheap, bottom of the line equipment. I don't overclock them and I make
sure there's plenty of airflow around the boxes.