D2's actual state [was: Re: website layout]

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 04:14:15 PST 2011

On 01/13/2011 11:15 AM, Don wrote:
>> Also I don't understand why http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/
>> comparison.html only contains 1 column for D and no other languages so
>> you can directly see what they are all missing.
>
> It used to contain several languages. It was removed due to intense
> criticism. Basically, those kinds of lists are so subjective that all
> they do is cause offense. Especially when the list has colour coding
> green/red/yellow where green implicitly means 'good'.

That is fair. Such comparison tables always show the ref language to be
the best one (possible)...
But what is not fair, strongly deceiving and even lying imo, is that
docs & articles about D2, including comparisons, simply omit to mention
the actual present state of the language. What we are constantly
discussing in the mailing lists.

What about a thread listing D2 finished features, ones that really work
fine already? (nice discussion expected about what "finished" means :-)
and D1 features not disturbed by D2's evolution? Then post this on the
website(s), with pointers from pages like the one evoked above.

I deeply think D would have a far better general image with accurate,
*adult*, non-deceiving, non-lying, publicity. I bet more people
interested in its intended design, features & evolution, would help in
realising it, instead of turning back because of deception --not only
because of its actual state.

Can you back the official website's "intro" page stating:
There are two versions of the language:
    1. D version 1 which is in maintenance mode.
    2. D version 2 which is recommended for new projects.
Also, keeping as first words: "D is a systems programming language.",
simply diverts from D a fair amount of potential users.

> There might be some value in a list of key design decisions, and list
> various languages as "same as D"/"different from D".

+++ in the spirit of numerous TDPL passages
Design decisions (and non-features) often better define a language.

Denis