Symlink to Latest dmd on the Digital Mars FTP

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Fri Jan 14 12:20:11 PST 2011

On 2011-01-14 15:01:42 -0500, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> said:

> On 2011-01-14 00:32, Michel Fortin wrote:
>> On 2011-01-13 15:07:41 -0500, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> said:
>>
>>> Could we get a symlink or something to the latest dmd release (one for
>>> d1 and one for d2) on the Digital Mars FTP?
>>
>> I'm currently using this shell script inside the D for Xcode installer
>> (change the regex for DMD 1):
>>
>> # Find latest version on download page
>> DMD_FILE_REGEX='dmd.2.(\d+).zip'
>> DMD_ARCHIVE_NAME=$(curl --fail
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/download.html -s | perl -e '
>> $filename = "";
>> $vers = 0;
>> while (<>) {
>> if (/\bhttp:\/\/ftp\.digitalmars\.com\/('$DMD_FILE_REGEX')\b/) {
>> if ($2 > $vers) {
>> $vers = $2; $filename = $1;
>> }
>> }
>> }
>> print "$filename";
>> ');
>> if [ $? != 0 ] || [ "$DMD_ARCHIVE_NAME" == "" ]
>> then
>> echo "Error retrieving current DMD version."
>> exit -1
>> fi
>>
>> # Source URL / Destination Dir
>> DMD_URL="http://ftp.digitalmars.com/$DMD_ARCHIVE_NAME"
>
> I would hope to not have to use a "hack" like this. But thanks anyway.

I actually emailed Walter before writing this code, asking him if he
could add a way to get the latest version. He suggested I do that
instead.

In the real code there's also a fallback checking a file on my website
that is supposed to contain the latest version number, but I'm not
really keeping it up to date since this hack hasn't failed me yet.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/