DVCS (was Re: Moving to D)

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 16:42:07 PST 2011

Am 15.01.2011 01:23, schrieb Walter Bright:
> Daniel Gibson wrote:
>> The hplip version in Ubuntu 8.04 and in Ubuntu 9.10 support your printer - I
>> don't know about your version,
>
> 8.10
>
>> because Ubuntu doesn't list it anymore, but I'd be surprised if it didn't
>> support it as well ;)
>> hplips docs say that the printer is supported when connected via USB or
>> "Network or JetDirect" (but not Parallel port, but probably the printer
>> doesn't have one).
>
> The HP 2300D is parallel port. (The "D" stands for duplex, an extra cost option
> on the 2300.)

HP says[1] it has also got USB, if their docs are correct for your version (and
the USB port is just somehow hidden) it may be worth a try :)
Also,
http://www.openprinting.org/printer/HP/HP-LaserJet_2300 links (under
"Postscript") a PPD that supports duplex. CUPS supports adding a printer and
providing a custom PPD. (In my experience Postscript printers do support the
parallel port, you can even just cat a PS file to /dev/lp0 if it has the right
format)
However, *maybe* performance (especially for pictures) is not as great as with
HPs own PCL.

As a Bonus: There are generic Postscript driver for Windows as well, so with
that PPD your Duplex may even work on Windows :)

>> It may be that Ubuntu doesn't install hplip (HPs driver for all kinds of
>> printers - including the LaserJet 2300 ;)) by default.
>> That could be fixed by
>> "sudo apt-get install hplip hpijs-ppds"
>> and then trying to add the printer again (if there's no Voodoo to do that
>> automatically).
>
> How I installed the printer is I just, more or less at random, said it was a
> different HP laserjet, and then it worked. The duplex doesn't work, though, nor
> any of the other variety of special features it has.

Maybe CUPS didn't list the LJ2300 as supported because (according to that
outdated list I found in the Ubuntu 8.04 driver) it isn't supported at the parport.

[1]
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/18972-236251-236263-14638-f51-238800-238808-238809.html