DVCS (was Re: Moving to D)

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 19:49:44 PST 2011

Am 16.01.2011 04:33, schrieb Jonathan M Davis:
> On Saturday 15 January 2011 19:11:26 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Andrei Alexandrescu"<SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>  wrote in message
>> news:igt2pl$2u6e$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> I'd read some post of Nick and think "hmm, now that's a guy who follows
>>> only his own beat" but this has to take the cake. From here on, I
>>> wouldn't be surprised if you found good reasons to use whale fat powered
>>> candles instead of lightbulbs.
>>
>> Heh :)  Well, I can spend no money and stick with my current 21" CRT that
>> already suits my needs (that I only paid $25 for in the first place), or I
>> can spend a hundred or so dollars to lose the ability to have a decent
>> looking picture at more than one resolution and then say "Gee golly whiz!
>> That sure is a really flat panel!!". Whoop-dee-doo. And popularity and
>> trendyness are just non-issues.
>
> Why would you _want_ more than one resolution? What's the use case? I'd expect
> that you'd want the highest resolution that you could get and be done with it.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Maybe for games (if your PC isn't fast enough for full resolution or the game
doesn't support it).. but that is no problem at all: flatscreens can interpolate
other resolutions and while the picture may not be good enough for text (like
when programming) and stuff it *is* good enough for games on decent flatscreens.

For non-games-usage I never had the urge to change the resolution of my
flatscreens. And I really prefer them to any CRT I've ever used.

OTOH when he has a good CRT (high resolution, good refresh rate) there may be
little reason to replace it, as long as it's working.. apart from the high power
consumption and the size maybe.

Cheers,
- Daniel