HT SMART (was Re: DVCS (was Re: Moving to D))

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Sun Jan 16 00:37:55 PST 2011

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "retard" <re at tard.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> Hard drives: these always fail, sooner or later. There's nothing you can
>> do except RAID and backups
>
> And SMART monitors:
>
> I've had a total of two HDD's fail, and in both cases I really lucked out.
> The first one was in my Mac, but it was after I was already getting
> completely fed up with OSX and Apple, so I didn't really care much - I was
> mostly back on Windows again by that point. The second failure just happened
> to be the least important of the three HDDs in my system. I was still pretty
> upset about it though, so it was a big wakeup call: I *will not* have a
> primary system anymore that doesn't have a SMART monitoring program, with
> temperature readouts, always running. And yes, it can't always predict a
> failure, but sometimes it can so IMO there's no good reason not to have it.
> That's actually one of the things I don't like about Linux, nothing like
> that seems to exist for Linux. Sure, there's a cmd line program you can
> poll, but that doesn't remotely cut it.

	Simple curiosity: what do you use for SMART monitoring on Windows?
I use smard (same as Linux) but where I am reasonably confident that
on Linux it will email me if it detects an error condition, I am not
as sure of being notified on Windows (where email is not an option
because it is at work and Lotus will not accept email from sources
other than those explicitly allowed by the IT admins).

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr
Jabber: jeberger at jabber.fr