DVCS (was Re: Moving to D)

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Sun Jan 16 08:35:50 PST 2011

On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 16:55 +0100, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> I need to get a better LCD/LED display one of these days. Right now
> I'm sporting a Samsung 2232BW, it's a 22" screen with a native
> 1680x1050 resolution (16:10). But it has horrible text rendering when
> antialiasing is enabled. I've tried a bunch of screen calibration
> software, changing DPI settings, but nothing worked. I know it's not
> my eyes to blame since antialised fonts look perfectly fine for me on
> a few laptops that I've seen.

It may not be the monitor, it may be the operating system setting.  In
particular what level of smoothing and hinting do you have set for the
fonts on LCD screen?  Somewhat counter-intuitively, font rendering gets
worse if you have no hinting or you have full hinting.  It is much
better to set "slight hinting".   Assuming you have sub-pixel smoothing
set of course.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk