DVCS (was Re: Moving to D)

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 09:19:44 PST 2011

On 1/16/11, Russel Winder <russel at russel.org.uk> wrote:
> It may not be the monitor, it may be the operating system setting.  In
> particular what level of smoothing and hinting do you have set for the
> fonts on LCD screen?  Somewhat counter-intuitively, font rendering gets
> worse if you have no hinting or you have full hinting.  It is much
> better to set "slight hinting".   Assuming you have sub-pixel smoothing
> set of course.

Yes, I know about those. Linux has arguably more settings to choose
from, but it didn't help out. There's also RGB>BGR>GBR switches and
contrast settings, and the ones you've mentioned like font hinting. It
just doesn't seem to work on this screen no matter what I choose.

Also, this screen has very poor yellows. When you have a solid yellow
picture displayed you can actually see the color having a gradient
from a darkish yellow to very bright yellow (almost white) from the
top to the bottom of the screen, without even moving your head. But I
bought this screen because it was rather cheap at the time and it's
pretty good for games, which is what I cared for a few years ago. (low
input lag + no tearing, no blurry screen when moving rapidly). I've
read a few forum posts around the web and it seems other people have
problems with this model and antialising as well.

I'll definitely look into buying a quality screen next time though.