DVCS (was Re: Moving to D)

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Jan 16 10:03:14 PST 2011

On 1/15/11 9:11 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Andrei Alexandrescu"<SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>  wrote in message
> news:igt2pl$2u6e$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> On 1/15/11 2:23 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> I still use CRTs (one big reason being that I hate the idea of only being
>>> able to use one resolution)
>>
>> I'd read some post of Nick and think "hmm, now that's a guy who follows
>> only his own beat" but this has to take the cake. From here on, I wouldn't
>> be surprised if you found good reasons to use whale fat powered candles
>> instead of lightbulbs.
>>

> Heh :)  Well, I can spend no money and stick with my current 21" CRT that
> already suits my needs (that I only paid $25 for in the first place),

My last CRT was a 19" from Nokia, 1600x1200, top of the line. Got it for
free under the condition that I pick it up myself from a porch, which is
as far as its previous owner could move it. I was seriously warned to
come with a friend to take it.

It weighed 86 lbs.

That all worked for me: I was a poor student and happened to have a huge
desk at home. I didn't think twice about buying a different monitor when
I moved across the country...

I wonder how much your 21" CRT weighs.

> or I
> can spend a hundred or so dollars to lose the ability to have a decent
> looking picture at more than one resolution and then say "Gee golly whiz!
> That sure is a really flat panel!!". Whoop-dee-doo. And popularity and
> trendyness are just non-issues.

I think your eyes are more important than your ability to fiddle with
resolution. Besides, this whole changing the resolution thing is a
consequence of using crappy software. What you want is set the
resolution to the maximum and do the rest in software. And guess what -
at their maximum, CRT monitors suck compared to flat panels.

Heck this is unbelievable... I spend time on the relative merits of flat
panels vs. CRTs. I'm outta here.

Andrei