DVCS (was Re: Moving to D)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Jan 16 12:07:36 PST 2011

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:igvhj9$mri$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 1/15/11 10:47 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> There's two reasons it's good for games:
>>
>> 1. Like you indicated, to get a better framerate. Framerate is more
>> important in most games than resolution.
>>
>> 2. For games that aren't really designed for multiple resolutions,
>> particularly many 2D ones, and especially older games (which are often
>> some
>> of the best, but they look like shit on an LCD).
>
> It's a legacy issue. Clearly everybody except you is using CRTs for gaming
> and whatnot. Therefore graphics hardware producers and game vendors are
> doing what it takes to adapt to a fixed resolution.

Wow, you really seem to be taking a lot of this personally.

First, I asume you meant "...everybody except you is using non-CRTs..."

Second, how exacty is the modern-day work of graphics hardware producers and
game vendors that you speak of going to affect games from more than a few
years ago? What?!? You're still watching movies that were filmed in the
80's?!? Dude, you need to upgrade!!!

> It's odd how everybody else can put up with LCDs for all kinds of work.

Strawman. I never said anything remotely resembling "LCDs are unusable."
What I've said is that 1. They have certain benefits that get overlooked,
and 2. Why should *I* spend the money to replace something that already
works fine for me?

>> And if I'm doing some work on the computer, and it *is* set at a sensible
>> resolution that works for both the given monitor and the task at hand,
>> I've
>> never noticed a real impromevent with LCD versus CRT. Yea, it is a
>> *little*
>> bit better, but I've never noticed any difference while actually *doing*
>> anything on a computer: only when I stop and actually look for
>> differences.
>
> Meanwhile, you are looking at a gamma gun shooting atcha.

You can't see anything at all without electromagnetic radiation shooting
into your eyeballs.

>> I've actually compared the rated power consumpsion between CRTs and LCDs
>> of
>> similar size and was actually surprised to find that there was little, if
>> any, real difference at all on the sets I compared.
>
> Absolutely. There's a CRT brand that consumes surprisingly close to an
> LCD. It's called "Confirmation Bias".

I'm pretty sure I did point out the limitations of my observation: "...on
all the sets I compared". And it's pretty obvious I wasn't undertaking a
proper extensive study. There's no need for sarcasm.