DVCS (was Re: Moving to D)

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Jan 16 12:22:13 PST 2011

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:igvc0k$c3o$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 1/15/11 9:11 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>
>> Heh :)  Well, I can spend no money and stick with my current 21" CRT that
>> already suits my needs (that I only paid $25 for in the first place),
>
> My last CRT was a 19" from Nokia, 1600x1200, top of the line. Got it for
> free under the condition that I pick it up myself from a porch, which is
> as far as its previous owner could move it. I was seriously warned to come
> with a friend to take it.
>
> It weighed 86 lbs.
>
> That all worked for me: I was a poor student and happened to have a huge
> desk at home. I didn't think twice about buying a different monitor when I
> moved across the country...
>
> I wonder how much your 21" CRT weighs.

No clue. It's my desktop system, so I haven't had a reason to pick up the
monitor in years. And the desk seems to handle it just fine.

>> or I
>> can spend a hundred or so dollars to lose the ability to have a decent
>> looking picture at more than one resolution and then say "Gee golly whiz!
>> That sure is a really flat panel!!". Whoop-dee-doo. And popularity and
>> trendyness are just non-issues.
>
> I think your eyes are more important than your ability to fiddle with
> resolution.

Everyone always seems to be very vague on that issue. Given real, reliable,
non-speculative evidence that CRTs are significantly (and not just
negligibly) worse on the eyes, I could certainly be persuaded to replace my
CRT when I can actually afford to. Now I'm certainly not saying that such
evidence isn't out there, but FWIW, I have yet to come across it.

> Besides, this whole changing the resolution thing is a consequence of
> using crappy software. What you want is set the resolution to the maximum
> and do the rest in software. And guess what - at their maximum, CRT
> monitors suck compared to flat panels.

Agreed, but show me an OS that actually *does* handle that reasonably well.
XP doesn't. Win7 doesn't. Ubuntu 9.04 and Kubuntu 10.10 don't. (And I'm
definitely not going back to OSX, I've had my fill of that.)

> Heck this is unbelievable... I spend time on the relative merits of flat
> panels vs. CRTs. I'm outta here.

You're really taking this hard, aren't you?