DVCS (was Re: Moving to D)

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jan 16 18:57:28 PST 2011

On Sunday 16 January 2011 14:07:57 Walter Bright wrote:
> Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> > Anyway.. how about that Git thing, then? :D
>
> We'll be moving dmd, phobos, druntime, and the docs to Github shortly. The
> accounts are set up, it's just a matter of getting the svn repositories
> moved and figuring out how it all works.
>
> I know very little about git and github, but the discussions about it here
> and elsewhere online have thoroughly convinced me (and the other devs)
> that this is the right move for D.

Great! That will make it _much_ easier to make check-ins while working on other
stuff in parallel. That's a royal pain with svn, and while it's slightly better
when using git-svn to talk to an svn repository, it isn't much better, because
the git branching stuff doesn't understand that you can't reorder commits to svn,
so you can't merge in branches after having committed to the svn repository. But
having it be pure git fixes all of that. So, this is great news.

And I don't think that there's anything wrong with being a bit slow about the
transition if taking our time means that we get it right, though obviously, the
sooner we transition over, the sooner we get the benefits.

- Jonathan M Davis