VLERange: a range in between BidirectionalRange and RandomAccessRange

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 05:13:35 PST 2011

> I think this is a good alternative, but I'd rather not impose this on
> people like myself who deal mostly with English.  I think this should be
> possible to do with wrapper types or intermediate ranges which have
> graphemes as elements (per my suggestion above).

I am unsure now about the question of a text's (apparent) natural
language in relation to unicode issues. For instance English, precisely,
seems to often include foreign words literally (or is it a kind of
pedantism from highly educated people?). In fact, users are free to
include whatever characters they like, as soon as they text-composition
interface allows it. All main OSes, I guess, now have at least one
standard way to type in characters (or codepoint) that are not directly
accessible on keyboards, and application sometimes offer another.
Some kinds of users love to play with such flexibility. So, maybe, the
right question is not the one of natural language but of
text-composition means. I guess that as soon as a human user may have
freely typed or edited a text, we cannot guarantee much upon its actual
content, what do you think?
The case of historic ASCII-only text is relevant, indeed, but will fast
become less. And how does an application writer recognises them without
iterating the whole content? (The encoding is utf8 compatible.)

Denis