DVCS (was Re: Moving to D)

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Mon Jan 17 12:13:08 PST 2011

On 17/01/11 06:25, Walter Bright wrote:
> Daniel Gibson wrote:
>> How will the licensing issue (forks of the dmd backend are only
>> allowed with your permission) be solved?
>
> It shouldn't be a problem as long as those forks are for the purpose of
> developing patches to the main branch, as is done now in svn. I view it
> like people downloading the source from digitalmars.com.
>
> Using the back end to develop a separate compiler, or set oneself up as
> a distributor of dmd, incorporate it into some other product, etc.,
> please ask for permission.
>
> Basically, anyone using it has to agree not to sue Symantec or Digital
> Mars, and conform to:
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/download/dmcpp.html

Speaking of which, are you able to remove the "The Software was not
designed to operate after December 31, 1999" sentence at all, or does
that require you to mess around contacting symantec? Not that anyone
reads it, it is kind of off putting to see that over a decade later
though for anyone who bothers reading it :P

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/