D 2 target architectures

new2d x at x.x
Mon Jan 17 14:57:00 PST 2011

Hi

I heard about D recently from a thread in the Gentoo Forums. My question is, if I'm mostly interested in shared memory high performance computing, do the radical new D 2 concurrency features help me at all? What I have in mind is doing automatic map/reduce style of programming. I'm going to buy a new hardware providing the AVX instruction set, possibly a two socket system. This should improve loop vectorization a lot. How should it all work is via the "native" foreach and Phobos 2 library features. Is this possible? Does Phobos 2 also use the three level cache architecture in Sandy Bridge efficiently? I was considering D because I don't want to mess with low level assembly and use a high level modern language instead. C++ is also getting there, in GCC 4.6 the loop vectorization is already good.

I considered this competitor too http://www.scala-lang.org/node/8579. But they have lot of work to do still. D 2 might get there first and be faster because of no slow VM. Do you think the great minds of Phobos developers will beat Scala's coming parallel features easily? Scala hasn't even implemented non-null references and pure yet. You're probably using Google's SoC money to build Phobos the next two summers and D has much more volunteers from Amazon and Facebook doing code developing for free.