What Makes A Programming Language Good

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Tue Jan 18 02:26:18 PST 2011

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 12:07:21 +0200, Christopher Nicholson-Sauls
<ibisbasenji at gmail.com> wrote:

>> That doesn't scale anywhere. What if you want to use a 3rd-party library
>> with a few dozen modules?
>>

> Then I would expect the library vendor provides either a pre-compiled
> binary library, or the means to readily generate same -- whether that
> means a Makefile, a script, or what have you.

Why?

You're saying that both the user and every library maintainer must do that
additional work.
Why should the user care that they have to deal with pre-compiled
libraries in general?
The only thing the user should bother with is the package name for the
library.
D can take care of everything else: check out the library sources from
version control, build a library and generate .di files. The .di files can
include pragmas which specify to link to that library. There are no
technical reasons against this. In fact, DSSS already does most of this.
AFAIK Ruby takes care of everything else, even when the library isn't
installed on your system.

> Forgive me if I misunderstand, but I really don't want a
> language/compiler that goes too far into hand-holding.  Let me screw up
> if I want to.

So, you want D to force people to do more work, out of no practical reason?

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net